Just beyond the quiet little dorpie of Velddrif, no more than two hours from Cape Town, an exquisite, untouched stretch of shoreline known as Dwarskersbos settles itself into the rolling sand dunes and indigenous coastal scrub. Villa kersbos is a place so lovely and remote, only the gulls and Cape Cormorants nosey over your sunbathing. Sitting directly on the beach, at the end of a lane that’s cushioned into the green belt alongside a tiny cluster of newly-built, secure beach bungalows, Villa Kersbos opens itself out to nothing but nature. Set on two levels of contemporary beach house living, with views of the ocean occupying every room, this simple and serene hideaway answers the call for an escape to the wilds of the West Coast. Not that you’re likely to encounter anything more ferocious than the resident tortoise. But it’s the stillness and calm that reminds you how far you are from the city.
With it’s four amazingly comfortable ensuite bedrooms, – all decked out with luxury percale linen and fine furnishings in neutral tones and textures – large and light open-plan living, dining and entertaining areas, indoor and outdoor fireplaces, long verandah, and fabulous Balau timber courtyard with its swimming pool and KolKol wood-fired hot tub, as well as the ‘pyjama room’ – where the kids can hang-out, playing games – this property is perfect for a family yearning an escape to nature. Where the waves are wonderful for swimming and surfing, the walks are endless, the sunrises and sunsets are spectacular, and the time goes by nicely and slowly. Days will be spent in the surf, on the sand, beside the pool, or beneath the giant olive tree in the courtyard, as you drift off with the chapters of a cherished novel. Evenings will be spent around the fire, stargazing and listening to the sounds of the waves curling over and over again, as the family banter picks up from where it was left off the night before. It’s all you envisaged about a trip up the West Coast.
What we love!
- Dwarskersbos is unlike any of the other West Coast towns – lovely as they are – it is a lot more remote and slightly off the beaten track, which makes it alluring to those who wish to discover something new (and less touristy).
- The beautiful views of the ocean, the eternal stretch of beach and the landscape around the property, that can be enjoyed from every room of the house.
- The beautiful indigenous coastal scrub and fynbos, with the incredible bird life that comes with it.
- The safety and security.
- Watching the cargo ships sail out beyond the horizon in the day and watching their lights twinkling on the ocean at night.
What you need to know…
- There is a lot to discover in this unique area. Including Bokkomlaan – what was once the heart of Velddrif’s bustling fishing industry, is now a heritage site.
- Villa Kersbos is a newly-built holiday home that is located within the secure confines of the upscale Kerbosstrand development. It is an ideal location for families who wish to relax and unwind without a worry about the surroundings.
Reviewed by Colleen Ogilvie